Wednesday 5 March 2014

Finding the perfect concealer - a matter of knowledge and luck

Given a random thought, cosmetics and philosophy don’t really go together. One’s about appearance, while the other is about essence. But what happens when the two meet and intertwine in the mind of an over thinking 20 year-old?

I was in Boots a couple of days ago, desperately trying to figure out what concealer to buy in light of my imminent EYP trip (e.n. they involve quite little sleeping time) and realizing it looked like it was shaping up to be Mission Impossible. I went through all the stalls, from Bourjois to No.7 and to Guerlain, but the only thing I succeeded to was confusing myself even more.

In less than 10 minutes I had managed to try a dozen shades of concealer in a variety of textures, all on the back of my hands, as well as reaching a record amount of walking in and out of Boots trips, in order to test the shades in natural light.

By the time I had found one that seemed to resemble my skin tone, all the creamy stuff had blended into one patchy mess on both my hands, so there was no way to know if the lovely color was actually my ideal shade or just a made-up one which I could never reproduce at home.

I was running out of time (and patience) so I decided to go with my gut and pick the nuance most similar to my skin tone, despite fearing it might have just been a work of the hazard. And it also had the cutest puffy applicator (see, design sells!): bonus points!!

I went home, removed all the make-up from my face and tried the little quirky and puffy concealer. It blended in perfectly; it had the most comfortable texture and the exact color of my skin.

“Wow.”


Yes, that’s what I said.
I’ve researched all possible types of cosmetics, from high end to high street ones, looked up tips on how to choose them and how to apply them, but this real-life straight down boring situation proved that even heaps of knowledge can be, at some point, easily set aside.

So come to think of it, I might have made an educated guess or just gotten lucky. To be fair, I just think that sometimes luck hits you straight in the face, no matter how much research you’ve done to discover that perfect concealer. Or the perfect university degree for that matter.

It applies to all sorts of things, from trivial lunch choices to life-changing decisions.
Though the main lesson that should be learned from this isn’t that you can always count on luck, you should always treasure it and be grateful for those moments when karma decides to send some your way and be thankful for them. Maybe give some of it back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Alexandra's Musings, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena